Posted August 15, 2022
The Assistant Controller reports directly to the Controller.
Birchwood is looking for a dedicated, experienced, and enthusiastic Assistant Controller. As part of the Birchwood Accounting Services team, and reporting directly to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will play an integral role in our ancillary and shared services accounting teams.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for working with the Controller on various fronts including financial reporting, accounting, and controls of all aspects of our ancillary business. The Assistant Controller will also be asked to work with the Controller to look for opportunities to enhance current processes, solve problems, and develop new strategies that create efficiencies within the department and the greater group.
What you will do:
- Support the Controller in executing the financial reporting, accounting procedures, and process enhancements of Birchwood’s ancillary operations including:
- Month end reporting,
- Banking, accounts receivable, accounts payable and cash flow management,
- Controls, operational financial functions
- Budgeting, and variance analysis.
- Communicate with the Controller and operations managers on a variety of financial aspects and functions of their operations;
- Develop, enhance, create efficiencies and document business processes and accounting policies to strengthen internal controls and gain efficiencies;
- Resolve escalated client service issues and strengthen relationships with stakeholders throughout Birchwood.
- Foster a client-driven and can-do environment with a hands-on approach to deliver key initiatives
Essential Skills / Details
Essential Skills / Details
What you need to be successful:
- CPA designation in the field of accounting-related post-secondary education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience with assurance and auditing
- Proven leadership skills, including successfully delegating to, motivating, leading, teaching, and mentoring team members.
- High attention to detail, proven time management, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to apply critical thinking in all problem-solving situations.
- Comfort leveraging technology for most day-to-day functions.
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and other applications.
- Exceptional communication skills & ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Clear criminal background check
- Valid driver's license and own transportation to work is required.
- Our ideal candidate will have exceptional accounting skills, audit and assurance experience, some leadership experience, and a positive attitude. They will be excited to overcome obstacles, take on challenges and strive for continuous improvement.
Birchwood is Manitoba’s largest automotive retailer network. Our 23 franchises include two state-of-the-art collision repair centres and four Birchwood Credit Solutions locations, and offer sales, services, and parts to meet our customers’ automotive needs. We’re a recognized leader in the retail automotive industry, not only for our diverse workforce reflecting our community, but also for our unparalleled commitment to team members, customers, partners, and neighbourhoods. At Birchwood, our days begin and end with gratitude, personal leadership, trust, respect, continuous improvement and generosity.
Birchwood is committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status
Salary / Wage Range
To be discussed during interview process.